Connecting Bluetooth headphones to a PlayStation 4 (PS4) has become a perfect option for an exceptional gaming experience because of its convenience and sound quality. Yet times it can be tricky to synchronize headphones with the PS4. For this reason, this article provides a detailed overview of how users can connect Bluetooth headphones to their PS4 consoles with ease. Furthermore, it also covers audio solutions and troubleshooting tips for cases where the connection doesn’t work properly.
What are the Possible Options for Connecting Headphones to a PS4?
How to Connect any Wireless Headphones to a PS4?
Follow the below-mentioned steps to connect your wireless headphones to a PS4.
- Step-1: Firstly, activate the Bluetooth capabilities of the headphones and ensure that it is discoverable.
- Step-2: When the headset is in discovery mode, go to the PlayStation 4 console’s settings menu and select ‘Devices’ from the list of options.
- Step-3: Next, choose ‘Bluetooth Devices’ which will cause all available Bluetooth devices within range to be displayed
- Step-4: Choose your preferred headphones from the available choices and then follow the directions displayed on the screen.
After the connection is established successfully, the users can change audio output settings directly through their headset or using the Audio Device settings option available under ‘Settings’ > ‘Devices’. Additionally, other sound-related settings are also available to users including Chat Mixer Balance, Output To Headphones, Volume Control (Headphones), Input Device, and so on.
Once all sound-related settings are adjusted according to your preference, you’re ready to use wireless headphones with your PS4 Console for gaming or media use.
How to Connect any Wired Headphones to a PS4?
Anyone can easily hook up their wired headphones with PS4 in a few simple steps.
- Step-1: Firstly, locate the headphone jack on the DualShock 4 controller, which can be found near the L2 and R2 triggers at the bottom of the device.
- Step-2: After locating the port, plug the wired headset into the jack. However, an additional amplifier may also be used for the best sound quality depending on the type of headset used.
- Step-3: In the end, before turning on any of the devices, ensure that all connections are secure and correctly established.
After the connection is established successfully, the users will be able to hear the audio through their wired headsets while playing games on the PS4 consoles.
Note: Refer to your gaming headset user guide/ manual (or) contact customer service if you face any problem in connecting the cables (or) adapters. Using any sort of inappropriate connectors could potentially damage both the PS4 console and headset.
How to Connect any Bluetooth Headphones to a PS4 Controller?
Follow these straightforward steps to pair your Bluetooth headphones with a PS4.
Before pairing any device, ensure that it has Bluetooth capability and can be easily discovered by other devices.
- Step-1: To begin, press and hold the “Share” button on your PS4 controller until the blue light begins to flash.
- Step-2: Go to your headphones’ Bluetooth settings and search for nearby devices and select PS4 from the available connections.
- Step-3: Both devices will be paired successfully, once they are connected to one another.
- Step-4: Enjoy wireless audio output through headphones while playing games (or) media applications on the PS4 console.
Note: Users must check for updates and keep all firmware versions up to date on a regular basis in order to improve compatibility across numerous device types while attempting to pair any two electrical components wirelessly.
How to use a USB Adapter to Connect any Headphones to Your PS4?
If you want to connect your headphones to the PS4 controller through a USB adapter, you must purchase an external device such as a dongle. Dongles can be easily plugged into a USB port of a PS4 system. Make sure that the dongle supports Bluetooth technology while purchasing it.
Follow these simple steps to connect any headset to your PS4 using a USB adapter.
- Step-1: Plug in the Bluetooth adapter/dongle into the available USB port on PS4.
- Step-2: Go to settings on the home menu and select devices.
- Step-3: Click on Bluetooth devices and search for the available devices.
- Step-4: Select the compatible device from the list and pair it with PS4.
- Step-5: Both devices will be paired successfully, once they are connected with one another.
Finally, through the USB connection, the user will be able to enjoy the uninterrupted audio output from the PS4 console.
How to Connect Headphones to a PS4 via TOSLink Optical Connector?
Follow these simple steps to connect any headset to your PS4 using a TOSLink optical connector.
- Step-1: Purchase an optical audio cable and adapter to connect Bluetooth headphones and the PS4 system.
- Step-2: Locate the optical out port available at the back of the PS4 console and insert the audio cable
- Step-3: Now, connect the other end to the headphones jack (or) AUX input to the headphones via an adapter.
- Step-4: Go to settings and click on the audio settings.
- Step-5: Switch between regular speakers (or) Bluetooth headphones in the audio output settings under sound and screen options.
- Step-6: Choose digital optical output from the list of available output devices to use Bluetooth headset with PS4.
How to Troubleshoot PS4 and Headphones Pairing Issues?
You do have numerous options when your headphones are still not connected to your PS4.
- Check whether the headphones and the PS4 are fully charged and switched on.
- Ensure that Bluetooth is enabled on both devices and are within range of each other. If not, try moving them closer and restart the connection process if required.
- If you are still having issues you must reset both of the devices (or) one and establish the reconnection process again.
- Refer to the given user manuals (or) guides for safe resetting procedures.
Connectivity Range and Limitations
Though connecting headphones to a PS4 system appears to be straightforward, there are several limitations that users must be aware of.
- Bluetooth headphones usually have a connecting range of up to 33 feet (or) 10 metres. This might be a significant constraint because the proximity of the headphone must be within the range to retain maximum audio quality while gaming.
- Furthermore, walls and other objects might act as obstacles and break down connections, resulting in a reduction in effective connecting range.
In a nutshell, connecting Bluetooth headphones to a PS4 console has become relatively simple. Thanks to their compatibility with a variety of products that are available in today’s market. In fact, with proper preparation and a thorough understanding of essential user guides (or) manuals, gamers can enjoy one-touch access without the need for complex cabling solutions.