The original facility was constructed as a tuberculosis hospital in 1952 and adapted for behavioral health in 1978.
The new 77,610-square-foot project will comprise four, single-story mental health rehabilitation centers, each accommodating 16 patients. A three-story co-housing building for 57 residents is also planned.
The buildings are situated around a central open space with sheltered outdoor seating, community gardens, and recreation areas.
The project aims to target net zero-energy and will feature onsite energy production. The design also focuses on the preservation of the existing natural environment to support therapeutic healing and resiliency to enable the facility to continue operations in the event of a natural disaster.
The behavioral health campus is slated to be complete in by the end of 2024.