Choosing a smart TV at this moment is undoubtedly a wise decision due to the remarkable advancements in technology that have enhanced the overall viewing experience. Modern smart TVs are equipped with cutting-edge features, including 4K and even 8K resolutions, HDR capabilities, and faster processing speeds for a variety of video formats available on different platforms. While video quality is crucial to the television experience, audio output is equally vital in creating an immersive and captivating atmosphere. And while many smart TVs deliver great visuals, not all options are equipped with similarly premium audio output. Therefore, you should check the following factors when you are looking for a smart TV.
- Display Panel and Resolution: The display panel and resolution are pivotal aspects of a smart TV, directly influencing the quality of the visual experience. The display panel technology, such as OLED, QLED, or LED, dictates factors like contrast, color accuracy, and viewing angles. Opting for higher resolutions like 4K or 8K is also important as it offers sharper images with finer details, allowing viewers to fully appreciate the content’s intricacies.
- Speaker Wattage: The wattage rating for a speaker is a very important factor as it directly affects the output volume and clarity at certain volume levels for a speaker. A higher speaker wattage generally results in louder and more powerful sound. This is particularly important for larger rooms or spaces where a stronger audio presence is required to fill the area effectively.
- Audio Enhancing Technology: Apart from the hardware quality of the speaker, the overall audio performance of a smart TV is also improved by various audio-enhancing technologies adopted by smart TV manufacturers. Some of the well-known technologies on the market right now for audio improvement are Dolby Atmos and DTS: X. So if you are picking up a smart TV in 2023, make sure you are getting support for either of these technologies.
As a lot of buyers prefer to go with a dedicated sound system or a soundbar with their smart TVs, the audio performance of a smart TV is usually ignored. But if you are looking for an option that offers a decent visual as well as sound performance, then you have come to the right place. Here, we have gathered a handful of the best smart TVs on the market right now that will guarantee a powerful sound output apart from stunning visuals. You can also check out our “Buying Guide” for the best-sounding smart TV and see which factors affect the TV’s performance the most.
Best Sounding Smart TVs Table
Best Sounding Smart TVs Reviews
In the 1st place, we have a stunning 4K smart TV with amazing picture quality, smart features, and voice control, the Hisense 50-inch ULED U6HF Series QLED 4K TV. This TV has a 50-inch LED screen with Quantum ULED technology and Full Array Local Dimming, which means you’ll enjoy vibrant colors, deep blacks, and incredible contrast. The TV also supports HDR, so you can watch your favorite movies and shows in stunning detail and clarity. The TV runs on Google TV which is a smart platform that lets you access thousands of apps and streaming services, including YouTube, Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and more.
You can also use your voice to search for content, control the TV, and interact with Google Assistant. The TV has four HDMI 2.1 inputs, two USB ports, and other connectivity options to connect your devices and accessories. The TV also offers a sleek design with a black finish and a slim bezel that enhances the viewing experience. Whether you’re watching sports, gaming, or binge-watching your favorite shows, this TV can really make you feel like you’re in the middle of the action.
- It has a 50 inches display
- TV comes with 20 watts built-in speakers
- Panel has 60 Hz refresh rate
- Supports full array local dimming
- Most popular smart TV with great sound performance
- Wide range of smart features are available
- Panel technology is pretty good
- Other options offer more powerful speakers
LG is probably an ideal candidate if you are looking for a smart TV that delivers decent audio quality. Unlike most other options, LG smart TVs are designed to offer high-quality video along with mesmerizing audio quality.
In the 2nd palace, we have the 65 inches Class C2 Series OLED EVO 4K UHD Smart webOS TV by LG. This cutting-edge television offers an immersive viewing experience with its OLED display technology, boasting a stunning 4K resolution that brings every detail to life. The generous screen size of 65 inches makes your entertainment larger than life, and with its sleek dark silver design adds a touch of elegance to any space. It also offers the benefit of 120 Hz refresh rate which offers a competitive advantage for gamers, especially with new-gen consoles such as Xbox Series X and PS5.
Even though the display capabilities are pretty good for this TV, the sound quality is not compromised either thanks to the AI Sound Pro technology that enhances audio based on the content you’re watching. The built-in 2.2-channel speakers offer a powerful 40 watts of Dolby Atmos-supported surround sound, ensuring an immersive audio experience. The TV also offers an assurance of quality with a year of warranty.
- It has a 65 inches display
- TV comes with 40 watts built-in speakers
- Panel has 120 Hz refresh rate
- Powered by the Alpha 9 Gen 5 AI Processor
- Panel quality is very good
- One of the most reliable brands for TV
- Built-in Alexa for voice access
- Size might be too large for smaller rooms
In the 3rd position, we are putting the cheapest smart TV that ensures perfect sound output. The Toshiba Class C350 Series TV is also a pretty large smart TV with 55 inches display size offering a 4K UHD LED panel for stunning image clarity. And since this is also a Fire TV, you don’t have to worry about missing out on any smart features as well. It also comes with a voice remote to offer a completely hands-free experience. Apart from that, you will also find the benefit of Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10 support, which further improves the display quality and also qualifies the display for premium-quality streaming content.
Coming to the audio performance, this TV is also backed by the renowned DTS Virtual: X technology that can offer a virtual soundstage to the audio and create multi-channel surround sound output. And thanks to the 8 Watts built-in speakers, Toshiba has also managed to keep the form factor of the smart TV to a very slim level and make it easier to install the TV. Apart from that, there is also built-in support for 4K upscaling so that it can upscale lower-resolution content to match the capabilities of the display panel without losing quality.
- It has a 55 inches display
- TV comes with dual 8 watts built-in speakers
- Panel has 60 Hz refresh rate
- Compact and slim form factor
- Most affordable smart TV with great sound performance
- Voice access is available
- Fire OS for wide collection of smart features
- Speaker capacity is very low
While there are a lot of brands available for a smart TV, there are but a few choices that can go the mile like Sony. The following option from Sony is certainly an ideal choice for the upcoming decade.
Sony is yet another highly reliable option for a smart TV and you can certainly trust Sony’s promise to deliver vivid audio as well as video output. It is powered by the next-generation Cognitive Processor that can render the content in a way that human eyes would perceive it in the real world. As a result, you can see the perfect visuals on the TV irrespective of the resolution or video format. And thanks to the panel being an OLED panel, you also get pure blacks for a realistic depth to the image. As this is one of the few options designed by Sony for PS5 TVs, you also get 120 Hz refresh rate support on the panel which is certainly enjoyable for gaming as well as entertainment content.
Another notable feature of this smart TV is the Acoustic Surface Audio+. With that, you can experience the sound coming directly from the screen thanks to the triple actuators placed behind the screen. There are 2 additional actuators are placed on the sides to improve the high-frequency sound output and provide a natural touch to dialogue. Sony also pairs this with the XR surround sound technology that provides a 3-dimensional feel to the audio and makes it more immersive than ever.
- It has a 77 inches display
- TV comes with 50 watts built-in speakers
- Panel has 120 Hz refresh rate
- Exclusive PS5 features
- Most premium and high-end choice for a smart TV
- Display and audio enhancement technologies are pretty good
- Powerful and fast image processors
- Very expensive option compared to other choices
The VIZIO V-Series 4K LED HDR Smart TV is another great option in the affordable range of options with a lot of focus on 4K gaming and entertainment. This TV also features a large 55 inches 4K LED panel supporting HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. As for dedicated gaming features, you will have the advantage of Freesync. Ultra-low input latency, and HDMI 2.1 input port to support high resolution input at an enhanced refresh rate. It also has a built-in spatial scaling engine to offer UHD upscaling for content below 4K resolution.
As for the connectivity, it also has a wide range of options for both wired and wireless connectivity so that all types of accessories can be easily connected to the TV. The wireless support includes WiFi 6E as well as Bluetooth 5.2 with BLE for a stable and secure connection. Coming to the audio performance, the VIZIO V-Series Smart TV is paired with dual 10 watts speakers with a built-in digital audio amplifier so that the tv can utilize the speaker up to their full potential. Another great benefit of this option is that you also get access to more than 260 streaming channels with Vizio Watch Free+ for no additional cost.
- It has a 55 inches display
- HDR and Dolby Vision supported
- Panel has 60 Hz refresh rate
- 260+ free streaming channels
- One of the affordable options for a smart TV
- Simple and easy controls
- Many smart features are provided
- Sound performance could have been better
Finishing up our picks for the best-sounding smart TVs is yet another great budget option from TCL. The TCL 55-Inch Q6 QLED 4K Smart TV also boasts a 4K UHD QLED panel which is pretty much standard nowadays even with budget options. The panel also offers the benefit of an ultrawide color gamut for realistic image generation. Unlike most other options available at this price point, this smart TV has up to 66% higher brightness level with the Direct LED backlight technology. The built-in support for HDR Pro+ support also benefits from the higher brightness level. The panel is also paired with game accelerator 120 to offer VRR support for gaming.
As for the audio, you also get the benefit of Dolby Atmos and DTS Virtual: X which you will find with most other options on this list. As you’re getting support for both of these technologies, you can choose the one that works best with your audio hardware. You will also find 55 watts speakers on this TV which is pretty good, especially considering the price point. Thus, you can rest assured that you will get the best results regarding audio performance with this smart TV. As for support for external hardware, you can connect audio hardware directly to the HDMI port of the smart TV thanks to the eARC support.
- It has a 55 inches display
- TV comes with 55 watts built-in speakers
- Panel has 60 Hz refresh rate
- HDR Pro+ and Dolby Atmos supported
- Slim and bezel-less design
- Enhanced gaming performance
- Ultrawide color gamut with QLED panel
- Panel size may not be suitable for large rooms
Buying Guide For The Best Sounding Smart TVs
If you are going for a premium-range smart TV, it should offer an enjoyable visual and sound profile. A well-rounded audio system can envelop viewers in a wider soundstage, making the experience a lot more immersive. Clear dialogue, balanced sound effects, and deep bass contribute to a more complete and satisfying viewing experience.
Although smart TVs offer a plethora of remarkable features for visuals, there’s a noticeable gap when it comes to premium audio output. While manufacturers focus on enhancing display technologies, audio innovations often take a back seat in design. Many built-in TV speakers provide mediocre sound quality that fails to do justice to the high-definition visuals. So if you want to buy an all-rounder smart TV, make sure you follow our buying guide for the best sounding smart TV. Here, we will discuss some crucial properties of a smart TV that affect the display and the sound capabilities of a smart TV.
1. Display Panel and Resolution
The display panel and resolution are two integral components that play a pivotal role in shaping a smart TV’s visual quality and overall viewing experience. The display panel is often characterized by technologies such as OLED, QLED, or LED upon which the content is presented. Each panel type offers distinct attributes that impact aspects like contrast, color accuracy, and viewing angles. The choice of display panel technology directly influences how colors are rendered and how dark and light areas are distinguished in an image. For instance, OLED panels are renowned for producing deep blacks by individually controlling each pixel’s illumination. This results in a remarkable level of contrast that lends a sense of realism to images.
As for the resolution, it determines the level of detail that the TV can display. Higher resolutions, such as 4K and 8K, offer more pixels, leading to sharper and clearer images. With a greater pixel density, viewers can discern finer details, textures, and nuances in the content. This becomes especially noticeable in larger screen sizes where lower resolutions might lead to a loss of clarity. A higher resolution also allows viewers to sit closer to the TV without experiencing pixelation, providing a more immersive experience.
2. Sound Capacity
If you want to assess the sound performance of a smart TV, then there are 2 factors that you need to carefully check in a smart TV: the wattage rating of the speakers and the type of speakers used on the smart TV. The sound capacity of the speakers basically refers to the wattage rating that you can find mentioned along with the smart TV. This wattage rating will directly tell you the maximum output capacity of the speaker, which will give you an idea about the maximum sound level of the speakers. It also specified a certain sound level up to which the speakers can perform without any distortion. Generally, the higher wattage is preferable for any type of speaker, whether it’s a smart TV or a sound system. A higher wattage translates to a louder and more impactful sound. This becomes especially important in larger rooms or open spaces where the TV needs to project sound effectively to all corners of the area. So, you should always consider picking up the higher wattage option if you want better sound performance.
3. Sound Technology
Fortunately, there have been a lot of advancements in sound technology nowadays, and having an excessively expensive and high-power sound system is not absolutely necessary to get a good sound performance. Support for sound technologies such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X makes it possible for budget-range smart TVs to also deliver premium-grade audio. These technologies work similarly and enhance the sound experience by creating a virtual multi-dimensional soundstage. In simpler words, you can experience the sound coming from both left and right and top and bottom. This enhances the audio quality and adds depth and realism to the overall entertainment experience. For instance, a viewer could hear footsteps approaching from behind, raindrops falling all around, or the rustling of leaves in a forest, creating a stronger connection with the content. But as with any software, there are still limitations on how much the technology can enhance the audio performance and the vital aspect is always the hardware quality over software optimization.
4. Speaker Type
Apart from that, you should also check the type of speaker to understand the soundstage and ideal placement for your TV. The choice of speaker type in a smart TV, whether it’s front-firing, down-firing, or other configurations, significantly influences the audio quality and the overall auditory experience. Each speaker arrangement has its unique characteristics that impact sound projection, clarity, and immersion, thereby playing a critical role in how viewers perceive the content. As the name suggests, front-firing speakers are placed at the front of the smart TV that imitate the performance of a soundbar. On the other hand, down-firing speakers are designed to disperse the sound more by keeping the speakers face downwards. However, down-firing speakers might not provide the same level of clarity and directness as front-firing speakers, despite offering a wider soundstage.
Smart TV – FAQs
Ans: If you want to improve the sound quality of your TV, there are a few things you can try. First, check the audio settings on your TV and make sure they are appropriate for the type of content you are watching. Another method would be to adjust the volume and balance levels on your TV and your speakers and choose the appropriate sound technology. Depending on your preferred audio quality, you may need to increase the bass or treble or reduce the dialogue or background noise.
Ans: It would not be easy to pinpoint one brand regarding sound performance on a smart TV as different brands incorporate different audio technologies to improve the sound output. However, you can easily find out which smart TV will offer you the best sound output based on which audio technology you are getting on a model as well as the physical capabilities of the smart TV speakers. Compared to many other choices, Sony smart TVs are currently offering a pretty good sound performance as most Sony TV models are equipped with 50-watt speakers.
Ans: Yes, soundbars are specifically designed to enhance the audio quality of your TV by providing a wider range of frequencies, a higher volume level, and a more immersive soundstage. Soundbars are usually designed to fit under or above your TV and can be connected to your TV via HDMI, optical, or wireless methods. However, the overall quality still depends on which soundbar you are getting. If the soundbar you are getting has a lower capacity than the built-in speakers of your TV, it would not be wise to pair the TV with the said soundbar.
A lot of times, smart TV owners complain about the subpar sound quality of their smart TV despite getting extremely appreciable visuals. This is because of the audio quality and hardware available with many smart TVs not being on par with that of a dedicated sound system or a soundbar. However, there are still some options where you can expect a pretty good sound output. In this guide, you can find all of the best smart TV choices available right now which also offer a pretty good audio performance, eliminating the need for an audio upgrade. We also have a buying guide revolving around the crucial factors of a smart TV that you should check if you want the best visual and sound performance from your smart TV. We also have the same handpicked recommendations for you right here that will help you select quicker.
- One of the best things about buying a smart TV right now is that you don’t have to look for long if you are looking for an affordable smart TV. The Toshiba Smart TV is a prime example as this is the most affordable 4K smart TV we can find right now. This Fire TV also has a voice-enabled remote for a hands-free experience. This is also a rather large smart TV with a 55-inch display panel, making it a good deal at the given price point. And as for audio performance, this TV is paired with dual 8 Watts speakers, which may not be as powerful as other options but are good enough for small living rooms.
- On the other hand, if you don’t want to compromise at all on either visual or sound performance of the TV and check all the boxes, we will suggest going with the Sony Smart TV. This is one of the most premium options designed by Sony, which has a lot of focus on gaming. Thus, you will get excellent visual output on its 4K OLED display with Dolby Vision HDR and some exclusive PS5 features. The same goes for audio performance since this TV offers 50 Watts speakers with exclusive Acoustic Surface Audio+ technology. You can also find this model in 55 and 65 inches size variants if 77 inches seems a bit larger for your needs.
- Lastly, we will recommend yet another highly valuable option from TCL Smart TV which promises great audio output. This is also a 4K smart TV like the other choices on this list with built-in support for HDR Pro+ and Game Accelerator to enhance the gaming performance. It also has a nearly 66% higher maximum brightness level thanks to the direct LED technology, which further enhances the results with HDR content. Coming to the audio, you will find the 55-watt speakers of this smart TV absolutely perfect for a medium to large living room and a viewing party expanding beyond 5 to 6 viewers.